Meet Dr. Linda Carson
“In grad school I learned to cause trouble, which has been more use to me than calculus, French grammar and linear perspective all combined.” Linda Carson has undergraduate degrees in mathematics and in studio art, master’s degrees in fine art and in kinesiology, and a PhD in behavioural and cognitive neuroscience, conducting research in drawing cognition. She is passionate about interdisciplinarity, loves to teach creative thinking, and is seldom seen without her three essential creative tools: her sketchbook, her Blackberry and a cold bottle of Diet Coke. You can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below are digital versions of the Essential Ideation Skills booklets, Empathy Map, and Feedback Grid that were provided during the session. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License. This means that we're happy to have you print and share these digital resources, but please don't sell them as is or remodel them for sale.
Overlap Process Cards
The Hult Prize and Related Reading
- "Today, the Hult Prize is the world's foremost platform for the creation and launch of for-good, for-profit startups emerging from university."
- Stay connected and learn about events on the Hult Prize at University of Waterloo Facebook page.
- Mind Candy: TED Talks about Food
- Mind Candy: TED Talks about Education
- Mind Candy: TED Talks about Connectivity
- Mind Candy: TED Talks about Transportation (Option 1 and Option 2)
- Mind Candy: TED Talks about Water (Option 1 and Option 2)
- Mind Candy: TED Talks about Healthcare
- Jakob Nielsen, "Why You Only Need To Test With Five Users"
- Anthony Tjan, "The Three-Minute Rule," Harvard Business Review
- Giff Constable's Talking to Humans
At Overlap, we love reading and learning new things. Here are a few of our favourite picks if you're interested in learning more about Ideation, Creativity, Design Thinking or Facilitation.
Oblique Strategies (subtitled Over One Hundred Worthwhile Dilemmas)
by Brian Eno and Peter Schmidt
This one isn't technically a book...but worth mentioning!
Create your own ideation toolkit
Here are some of our favourite supplies that we always have on hand when ideating. Put them all together and you can create your very own Ideation Toolkit.
We never leave home without sticky notes.
Linda loves the full-adhesive stickies for special occasions.
The perfect sticky note ideation companion.
Overlap tip: whiteboard markers are fantastic for writing on glass too!
A notebook to capture ideas anywhere, anytime.
Colour is a great way to communicate different ideas.
A handy case to carry your ideation kit around in.